Sunday, January 6

Anisha's Asian Adventures, Some Observations in Hong Kong

First of all, I will write all Cantonse words out in a way to be easy to pronounce..but that is without applying any of the 9 possible tones.
Also, though I teach English, I am not perfect at it and I make these posts from  a touch screen phone while using public transportation, so please bear with me. Also, studies show that first language accuracy can be compromised while learning a new language (just read your older brother's mission letters!)

These notes are some of the things I've noticed while traveling in Hong Kong and meeting people. I travel by foot, bus, mini bus, and less often by taxi. Some of the observations in my travelogue will describe experiences and opportunities I have had to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ in areas where it is legally allowed and culturally appropriate. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ (Mormons), and everyday I am grateful for the knowledge I have of Heavenly Father's love, blessings, and expectations of me. The principles I have learned of how to govern myself and of how to count my blessings have opened countless doors for me and chances to grow. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about my posts at bh.photo.girl@gmail.com and visit mormon.org.

Some observations:
-If you are one of the very few to have a personal car it is probably a Benz or a Porsche.

I've seen three stars in the sky in the last week because of the lights.

I've gotten to sit in on investigator lessons this week and even though I do not know the language, the Spirit has helped me contribute (with the missionaries translating) and allowed me to be an instrument for the Lord despite my weakness.

I know that:
kaytau is pray, cheesaw is toilet, zeedow is know.

By my 3rd day I was able to ask the little old lady on the bus if she knew where the my friend's apartment was. I also used the bus by myself for the first time. I am not sure what I would do without the Gospel that teaches me to pray, have faith and provides missionaries as well as instant family and eternal friends wherever I go-- not to mention a marvelous purpose when I hang out and help the missionaries.

I've felt proud and overwhelmed and scared that I won't remain humble because so much attention is focused on me.

Everyone has a smartphone and is always on it.

Everyone grabs an aisle seat if possible so they  can leave first even if it means having you crawl over them.

You may get fish water in your face if you walk through an alley meat market while they are transporting  live, flipping fish.

I keep wondering if the next sudden, steep, green mountain that appears in front of me when I walk out from between two buildings is the famous monkey mountain, even though I know it is much farther north.

Even though I don't understand much its starting to feel like home

Learning mandarin, even poorly so long ago helps a lot and gives me a good stepping stone!

I'm avoiding frustration by asking about words, saying them, but not pressuring myself to remember everything. There is usually someone within reach who speaks Engish, like students in high school.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your adventure life in Hong Kong! Miss you and love you very much. I am glad that you start to feel like home now in Kwun Tong. You are such a wonderful girl. Keep your faith and don't get lost in Hong Kong and in spirit! Love You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vivian! Your family is so kind to me, and you are so kind to share them with me!

      Delete

Hmmmm?