Tuesday, January 22

Christian night life! hahaha


   Last weekend, I went to an activity in Hong Hum with a group of friends from church. They told me we were going to do karaoke to celebrate three of our birthdays. When we arrived at the place, I thought I was at a private club, because there were well dressed hostesses at a desk when we entered. Karaoke in America involves going to an open restaurant and singing in front of a lot of people, and buying your own dinner. Well, one of the hostesses led us down a long checker-tiled hallway lined with mirrors ad black doors. Honestly, it looked like something out of Willy Wonka. I was a bit concerned about what these private rooms meant, but my friend took one look at my face and started laughing. "We are not bringing you anywhere bad!". I relaxed when I realized that everyone in attendance was a return missionary.

The hostess opened one of the doors on the left and led us in. It was a private karaoke room!! There was cushioned bench seating around a large coffee table that would turn into an all you can eat buffet. At the opposite end of the room was a couple of screens, one of which was a large television, and the others were computers for selecting music to sing. It was a blast. We went out and down the hall to choose out our food, and used the phone in the room to order whatever we would like to drink  (I really love hot lemon water here). We brought the food back to our table in our room, and sang and ate and laughed.

        Every single Chinese song I saw had someone crying in it! When I asked my friend Johnny about it, he said that in America, men have guns and go shooting to let out their emotions, but Chinese men have to sing!


oh boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hmmmm?