Thursday, December 5

Hiatus over! :)

It's been a rough summer. But God tends to use roughness to smooth out all the crinkles and crotchety-ness out of His children. He's good like that.

Time to get back to business. But first, an update ;)



After completing my student teaching in June, I had multiple job offers in each of a half a dozen countries because of my excellent education, and vast network of connections from BYU-Hawaii. However, I felt strongly that I was not supposed to be a classroom teacher at this particular time. I was confused, because I truly enjoy teaching. I decided to prepare my mission papers, and planned to leave shortly after I returned home. Heavenly Father had other plans. My hope to serve a mission was postponed because of some sudden medical issues. 

I wanted so badly for Heavenly Father to make it clear what path I was supposed to take, as He had when I knew I was supposed to attend BYU-Hawaii. I realized I needed to put forth more effort. So, I looked at jobs around the world and at home and sent applications. I looked at graduate schools, although I had not considered continuing my education at this time. Nothing seemed to pan out. It was the most disheartening time for me, and I really struggled in spirit. Previous to this point, I had always had a plan, and I had always been successful. But now, I felt quite lost (particularly because I am the oldest of six children, and I did not want to disappoint my family).

 After I had done all I could do, I realized I needed to humble myself admit that my plans aren't as good as God plans, even if His plans do not seem to make sense to me. I fasted and prayed and tried to keep my mind open. About a week after this time, I was up late watching the show "Downton Abbey", which is set in England, and a thought came to me suddenly, "Why don't you go to Europe?".
I had looked at positions everywhere else in the world, but for some reason had not considered Europe. It was about three o'clock in the morning, but I started to Google positions for private governesses or in-home teachers. I came across an agency out of Australia that connected families with au pairs. To me, being an au pair (or nanny) was below me, because I had a professional teaching license. But, Heavenly Father was helping me learn that His ways are best. I decided to go ahead and interview with a few families, and I began to be excited about the prospects. Days passed, and I began to wonder if I was doing the right thing. I had scheduled one other interview, but I considered cancelling it because I was losing faith. Something made me keep the appointment, and do the interview. I began my video chat with a family in Düsseldorf, Germany, and made an instant connection.

 They made me an offer on the spot, one that was far better than any other I had yet received. This was in part because I was a member of the church, and their current nanny was also LDS, and though they were not, they loved Mormon nannies! I had to make a quick decision if they were to begin the visa application, and I felt so peaceful at that moment, so I said yes. After finishing the interview, I danced around my house and was so full of gratitude that things were starting to come together.

 It was only about an hour later that my mother mentioned she saw an advertisement for an online Masters of Education offered by a prominent Texas university. I called the university for further information, and found out that because of my bachelor's degree, Hawaii teaching license and teaching experience, I qualified for the advanced program without having to take the GRE. And, because I was accepted prior to leaving the country, my tuition would be less than half of the out-of-state price. I felt very drawn to a specialization in Clinical Mental Health Counseling based on my own struggles with depression and anxiety in the past. The counselors at BYU-Hawaii were amazing and helped me be a success at school and beyond.  I will graduate as a Licensed Professional Counselor, and be able to establish my own counseling practice if I so choose. 

Although it was one of the most challenging times of my life, I am so grateful that Heavenly Father saw fit to give me that trial, to increase my faith in Him, and to be more flexible when things do not go according to my plans. I think that spending all of 2014 working, traveling and completing my degree in Europe is a far more beautiful turn of events than anything I could have imagined. 

P.S. I also got to spend more than a month with my grandparents in Colorado (the first time I've seen them in more than four years). It was one of the most treasured times of my life!! They are hilarious! (As chronicled on Facebook). I am additionally grateful for all that I was able to learn in the way of family history. It was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hmmmm?